May 10, 2015

My Mom

My mother and I.......hmmm we do not always and historically have not always had the best of relationships. I can't tell you why, I can only think to blame it on the fact that we do not communicate and that our personalities are different yet, the same.

No matter what season of relationship we are in I love her. I love her to pieces. She is an amazing woman and I want to tell you about the woman that molded me to the woman I am today.

My Mom was born in Puerto Rico in 1952. She was pretty poor growing up and wasn't able to finish school past the 6th grade because her parents couldn't afford it. I remember her telling me that her family didn't have the money to even buy a toothbrush. When my Mom was 16 her family moved to NYC and lived in the Bronx for what I can imagine was for a better life. My mom started working in a factory and then somewhere along those lines met my father and they courted and had me. When I was born my mother took it upon herself to learn to read, write, and speak English all on her own watching TV shows like Sesame Street with me and forcing herself to read books in English.

My mother is smart and she passed to me the drive to move forward and be the best that I could be. My mother taught me through her stories of coming up in this world that you can't let it beat you down and you sure as heck can't take no for an answer and if you want something you need to go out there and get it because it is not coming to get you. My Mom was a stay at home mom while my father provided for our family. She raised my sister and I to be the women that we are today. My mother is also a spitfire and she will tell you how it is and but your tail in check when it needs to be. From my father I gained my wisdom and my mother the pure passion. My mother was passion everything that she did it was with passion.

I remember her getting into decorating our home. She would watch TV shows, stay on trend, and do with what most don't know how to do with little to no money at all. HA HA HA! That's how my sister and I are able to go to the Dollar Store and find and create some great treasures. My mom was a creator, she also got into painting these ceramic knick nack things and she studied how to paint an eye and would envision the colors of how she wanted to paint this thing and her pieces would look nothing short of professional. Flowers, forget it she could have been the most awesome florist but her calling was to be at home with my sister and I.

My mother was very protective of us when we were children. She was always scared that we would get hurt or in trouble if we were out of sight so yes, I was the kid that came home when the sun went down and couldn't go past the end of the road. I couldn't tell you at what age I was able to cross the street alone. The protectiveness even though it truly irritated my young life to no end I now have the same care for my children because I NOW know what kind of world that we live in and it is worse than when I was a child. My mom would take me to the bus stop ha ha ha ha ha and that was probably the only thing I didn't find embarrassing I thought it was pretty cool until I got into high school and then. well. you know. ha ha ha ha.

My mother is amazing, she is now helping to care for my son. Knowing that he is with my Mom he will be ok because at the end of the day I came out ok. I came out great. I am tearing up as I write this because sometimes I just miss her and I wish that I could take back the past because at times it has hurt us both so much. My Mom is influencing my son and showing him what she showed me and he may not see and hear all the stories that we did of my mom growing up but he will. My mother is simply amazing. She is a great cook, funny as hell, and don't cross that woman. She has a heart of gold and will show it to you if she can trust you and if she doesn't than you probably aren't a good person worthy of that trust. This woman can read people like nobodys business. She is fierce and loves that way and it's not that my mother is mean it's that you are worth the passion that she has to give and she won't waste her time.

Because of my mother I have graduated high school, have an Associates Degree, I have a Bachelors Degree, I have a career which earns me more money than I could have dreamed to make and I have a history to and a love so deep that I can now take and teach my three kids the best that my mother taught me. I can cook and I can clean a house probably just as good as Danny Tanner because of her. Going on my day to day life I didn't realize all that my mother has done for me and what all of her actions as I was growing up impacted my life. I am sitting in a room that's quiet and I can gather my thoughts for me about my life and THIS is how I feel about my Mother and I am THANKFUL that she chose to have children and that God blessed us to have each other.

0 comments:

Post a Comment