June 21, 2015

Defining moments

I can look back onto my life and see different pieces that defined me and the person that I am today. It wasn't until I looked back at my life and searched for these moments that I finally saw them.

I remember the day that I got on the bus and went off to the Army. I had wanted to be in since I was in 8th grade and received a letter that I had to wait until I was in 11th grade to sign up for the delayed entry program and I did. I had achieved a goal that I set out to do. I was determined to be in the Army and I patiently went on with my life until the time I saw the recruiter. I think I am probably one of the few people that actually sought out a recruiter and not the other way around. So, I was on the bus and of COURSE they play Full Metal Jacket on the charter bus. We have the Marine Corp recruits on our bus and our first stop was Paris Island where they got YELLED at while they were on the bus and we jolted in our chairs knowing we had made a commitment and we had to follow through. We get off the bus at Fort Jackson and I went through the craziest 9 weeks of my life and pushed myself to INSANE limits. I did things that I never thought I would do and probably will not have the chance to do again. Looking back at my entire time in the Army I was always asked to push beyond my limits and I just did it. I didn't question whether I could or not I just followed an order and if I needed help or further instructions they were available to me.

I had a goal and I pushed forward and saw it through

I never questioned anything that I did and today I am still that way. I do a little bit more thinking now as not to be impulsive in my life because I really have a problem with that but if I want something bad enough I know that there is work to be done and I have to do it in order to get what I want. The time that I have spent in the Army is really defining in my life. There are disciplines that I still carry with me like being on time and 10 minutes early, and taking the time to respect our flag. I don't think that I would be the person that I am today without going there first. They molded the work ethic that I have and pushed me to go further than I could see for myself. 

While I am doing doing what I thought my dream job was, God had other plans for me. I think He used my time in the Army to help me to become an example to others about discipline and pushing themselves further than they may on their own. I know that He was preparing me for something better and I know that I am now experiencing that now but only recently have been opening my eyes to it which is pretty amazing. I am so thankful for all the experiences in my life and I have PLENTY, but to acknowledge the good that has come to my life because of the past is a pretty awesome thing to look back on. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment