April 7, 2015

Mindsets and consistency

Weight loss is a tricky thing. It is probably one of the hardest things that I have ever done other than birth my children. The reason is because it is SO SLOW! We truly live in a society that wants everything right now and the patience that we have with life in general is pretty much non existent. 

In order to successfully lose weight you must change your mind. You have to go to a place where you have probably never been before. You are going to work harder than you have and you are going to be frustrated in a way that you may not have been because the work that you are putting in is not going to go with the results that your mind THINKS it should be seeing. Your body may allow you to lose a ton of weight when you start and then you will slow down to the pace of a turtle. 

Getting you mindset right BEFORE you attempt your weight loss is going to be instrumental in your success because knowing that this is going to be a process and one that is going to take longer than a week than you are setting your mind up for the expectation that it WILL be a journey. You won't be disappointed and you will be more patient with yourself and the whole process. 

Another part of weight loss success is getting comfortable with the thought of consistency. Consistency (of a person, behavior, or process) unchanging in achievement or effect over a period of time.

What that means is that you are going to have to eat healthy and workout every day with your rest day in there somewhere. When you plateau you still do it. when you are frustrated with your weight loss do it. When you don't feel like it DO IT. WHY because one day you are going to wake up and the results WILL BE THERE when you don't pay attention to what is going on I promise you, you are going to be so proud of yourself for sticking with something and getting the thing done after all was said and done that it's seriously is going to be like magic. 

I know that because I experience the same thing. For most of my life I did things that I didn't have the choice to do like school. I just got up and went because my parents told me to. I got in the Army and while I made the choice to get in when I changed my mind the day after I got there I was stuck and had to do the thing and it was one of the best experiences of my life. With weight loss it was something that I had tried on and off for 10 YEARS! 10 years of choosing to lose weight and saying ah forget it this is too hard. 

When I finally got my mindset right that this was going to be a long journey of AT LEAST 90 days for the initial weight loss and something I would have to do for the rest of my life that's when I succeeded and I am still able to maintain my weight. I know now that I have to eat healthy MORE than I have pizza and candy and I have to exercise to keep my body tight and muscular how I want it to be. This has become my lifestyle. 

Did I want to quit? Hell yes! Do I want to have days where I lay in bed and eat take out all day? YUP! I know though that I will feel like crap and probably put myself down if I do and I don't want negative emotions anymore. I am happy and I love living a life that has balance in most parts of it. 

Maybe it sound easier said than done so why not try to get yourself in the zone now :) 

1 comments:

  1. I agree with you so much! I think that's why weight loss takes so long. A huge part of it is just getting your mind right, and if you don't get your mind right then you will just gain it all back. It's along process, and it is hard but so worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete