April 2, 2015

Perfection......no such thing

I have been reading a ton of personal development and I opened up the book Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown. It is such a great read and something that I needed to read. There was a section in the book that spoke about perfectionsim and how it is a terrible reality to try to live especially when it comes to weight loss or succeeding in life.

It is really easy to go and look on Instagram and Facebook and see all these inspiring people who have lost a ton of weight and kept it off or are just plain fit. I know, I have been there too my favorite was YouTube. They post pictures of what they eat, what they do for a workout, and man their lives look so put together. I really fall for the pictures where people have this clutter free office or home, I envy that but who's to say that they don't stage that before they shoot? I know I would..........

It's a facade. I'm not saying that they are faking it or lying but people are not posting the truth about their lives 100% of the time. I don't either, I should now that I mention it (when it comes to food),  but I will admit that I do eat candy and it is something that I struggle with and I do eat the shit out of some pizza but I have balance in my life. I know that to maintain my weight I have to eat a certain way and give in 1 or 2 times a week. Meaning a meal, not day. It is not something that came easy to me and it was something that I had to tweak in order to make it work for MY body.




The point I am trying to make is that when you are looking at people for inspiration you are really only seeing their highlight reel. They put their best foot forward and wouldn't you? Healthy people are normal people and the ideas that we create in our minds about them is more than likely false. I know because I have been there.......HA I can't believe I admitted that but there are people that I have followed on social media or their blogs and I seriously thought that they ate the way they appeared to in my mind. When I first started my weight loss journey I saw a blog of what someone kept in their fridge and I stocked mine the same way and bloop I met this person and it was real but what I thought she was doing and what she really did were two different things. I thought she held this perfection of healthy eating in her mind when she too was human and ate a damn candy bar and drank some wine too.

You aren't always going to be perfect on your journey to health. When you begin your journey is probably when you are going to make more errors in judgement than later on in your journey but the thing for you is not to quit. The more consistently that you do things the better they are going to be. It's much like riding a bike. You start and you can't keep your balance you fall off but what do you do? You get back on that bike and keep riding it. It's the same concept with a healthy lifestyle, you are going to trip and you are going to fall off but you are creating change a little bit at a time to get better, and to make yourself a healthier version of you. Let go of the perfectionist mentality and set your mind to make better choices and give yourself a break when you indulge a little. If this is a lifestyle you are creating you should be creating a lifestyle that consists of balance.


0 comments:

Post a Comment