September 19, 2015

!0 miler

Today was the day that I have been waiting for. Actually, it was the week that I have been waiting for. The high mileage. It's not that I didn't dread today, it's more like I actually feel like I am marathon training now. Doing a marathon is extreme so, I felt like I needed to run more. Now, I am.

I had to work all day today so I couldn't just run while I was at work like I have been doing. I woke up at 4 AM and drove out to a paved bike way. I want to say that it is 7.5 miles long. I will be able to use that road for awhile and I have another that I have in mind for my 20 milers that are coming in the few weeks.

I had been thinking about this run for a few days now because I had to wake up super early and also because I had to run in the dark. It's something that I haven't done before on my own. I ran the Disney Wine and Dine but, it was lit and a half marathon so I felt safe. Well, even though I was scared I prepared. My husband had a head lamp that I used and where I ran had some lighting and that was enough to get me through.

When I first started put on the run, I almost dreaded it because I felt ridiculous until I got about a mile in and I noticed that all of the fishermen had headlamps on too but I was the only one running. All I could think to myself was OH the joys of training for a marathon ha ha. I listened to my Dave Ramsey podcast and just kept thinking about keeping my mind right and running and getting out of debt. It was really weird running with the headlamp, it kept tripping me out. I am sure it will not be the last time that I use it so I am keeping things in my mind that will help me to make my run just a bit more comfortable next time.

After my first 5 miles I turned on the music and when I turned around I was facing the horizon and the sun was rising. I can't explain to you how beautiful it was to just look at the sky change it's colors. Colors that are so deep, and that are never quite the same. That pretty much held my attention for the rest of the run. Oceans came on my iPod and I just started smiling and enjoying everything around me. I saw the shadows of the fishermen trying to get their catch and I saw the canal come to life with more bikers and walkers getting their morning walks in. I wish I would have brought my phone with me but I brought my iPod because I brought my water bottle in hand, I have a gigantic iPhone 6 plus ughhhhh seriously great phone but that is not really meant for runners LOL.

Overall my run went great. I made it to work on time, I am really tired as I am writing this but I can't go to bed until 10......duty calls. I feel great. My legs feel a little bit worn out but that is normal as it has been a REALLY long time since I have run anything over the 9 miles I ran a week or so ago. I booked my hotel tonight and I have to stay a little but aways from the race but it's only 20 minutes so I am mentally planning now how and when I am going to get to the race without getting in tons of traffic. It looks like it will be a 5 AM wake up for us.

It's a pretty crazy thing to say but I am enjoying the journey that running is taking me on. I am getting to be at peace with myself and think things through, it's a truly wonderful feeling. Until next week with another running update.

0 comments:

Post a Comment