July 1, 2012

"Wild"

I have spent a week and a half at my in-laws house in Missouri in a town that has a population of 2,000 people. Can we say slowwwww life? 

It hasn't been terrible but I have found myself with a lot of time on my hands and I am not in school right now so I have picked up a few books to read. Summertime......doesn't that mean reading time to some people too. I hear so many people talk every year about GREAT SUMMER reads so I indulged and read a Discovery of Witches (very good I must say) and Wild by Cheryl Strayed (She made up her own last name!) I have to say that Wild is a book that will stick with me for some time to come. 

It was about this woman who's life got turned upside down mostly because of her own doing after her mother passes away and then she decides to take this crazy long 1,000 + mile hike out on the Pacific Crest Trail and just hike. Along the way she talks about her past how she messed it up, how she wishes she had a father around and the regrets that she has made in her own life not to mention the different people that she meets along the way on her hike from California through Washington. What hit me the most about this book is that she mentioned that she didn't need anything else to survive but what was on her backpack that she took with her.....it made me think.....well shoot here I am worried about the next thing I am going to buy or how I am going to decorate my house and even when I am going to work on getting promoted again at work........there is something wrong there isn't it? Some people would say absolutely not but what ever happened to stop worrying about tomorrow when today is sitting right flat in your face. What things are going to matter when you die it certainly isn't the fad or the fashion or the home decor......it's going to be whether you filled your life with great relationships learning things and if you have faith most importantly WHERE you are going when you leave this Earth.....It was an absolutely humbling book to read (not something that I would normally read). It put many things in perspective to me and I couldn't have read the book at a more perfect time giving that we are going to be going camping here in a few minutes. 

I guess the moral of the story is.........with life you can't worry about everything you have to do what you can and what makes you happy in life. Being healthy, loving, learning, spending time with your family instead of being glued to your phone or computer.....living without regret and enjoying the now and the things that really matter.

It was a great book! I thoroughly enjoyed it!


www.cherylstrayed.com if you are interrested :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment