July 23, 2015

Jeff Galloway Method

Today I was going to rest but I felt great when I woke up at 5:30 this morning with my trouble that I decided to do my run. I am not going to be able to run on Saturday so that will be my rest day so tomorrow will be a short run. I just switched out my long run and short one.

So yesterday I was listening to the podcast The Running Lifestyle and I heard an interview with Jeff Galloway and since I am doing the Disney race this November I thought it would be cool to try out his method. I must say that while listening to him yesterday I was a bit intrigued.

If you don't know about his method than what it is, is a style of running that over time will improve your time and decrease the chances of injury. For me, well. Sign me up! I was a bit hesitant at first because the prospect of walking had me instantly thinking that I was a failure for even stopping runners run not walk. Thinking like that isn't going to get anyone anywhere so this morning I thought....well Jeannette why not? I mean you have nothing to lose.

I got out this morning and set my Runkeeper app at intervals with 3 minutes of running and 30 seconds of walking for 15 intervals. I thought that would take me at about an hour but I misjudged it by about 4 minutes but that's ok I just ended my run running for a few more minutes. My goal today was to try the run walk run method for 6 miles.

I can tell ya that the first few intervals I was like WHAT. THE. HECK. I just started and I am walking but instantly I stopped those negative thoughts and thought that I just had to trust the process. It wasn't until about half way through my run that I realized the magic in this method! I felt no pain and now 4 hours after my run I am not feeling cramped up or even like I am going to be sore tomorrow. I kept my pace at 9:30 the whole time which I was good with and felt great doing it. Through the end of the run I decided that I would stride a bit longer to go a bit faster and that helped keep me motivated to run until the end. I would totally recommend this style of running especially when you are trying to get used to running and you want to keep going on long runs. I think that I am going to stick to straight runs for anything that is under 5 miles and use the run walk run method for my longer runs and see how I like that.

I have to say that it would be beneficial to set up the intervals on your phone and not look at your watch to time your intervals because then it would probably be super annoying and not helpful. The Runkeeper app just beeped and the sweet lady told me that my interval had started again. I wasn't really paying attention to the intervals after awhile just enjoying my podcast on my run.

I think everyone should give it a try and see if it is for them and if not well hey you had nothing to lose and you tried something new to see if it was a good fit.

Here is a pic of my splits for the run and some of my intervals.




One of these days I will take those cool stills of me running........

0 comments:

Post a Comment