August 9, 2015

A marathon and a story about a girl

I have been hit by the running bug again and I have now scheduled myself for a marathon in December. I will be running the St. Jude Marathon in Tenn. I am really excited about running this race and I am honestly pretty scared at the same time!

My son went back home, his summer vacation with me is over and I decided that instead of crying that I would do something bold and sign up for a marathon. I had my heart set on Puerto Rico but my husband got the best of me so St. Jude it is. Now that I am registered and all that I am very happy with my first marathon ever choice.

This race is important to me because my niece had the unfortunate news of having cancer. She was admitted last December and she is now thanks to the team at St. Jude in remission. I am so happy that she is in remission but she still has a long road ahead of her. I had heard about this marathon on a podcast and researched it and when I first did I was just scared that I wouldn't be able to do it so I clicked off the registration page. You could say that my son gave me the courage to run this race.

St. Jude is an amazing organization! My family has not had to pay for the hosiptal visit and have incurred no cost to them as far as her stay goes. Donations from those generous people like you and I pay the bill so that the kids can get their treatment. I think that in itself is an amazing gift to those children and families that may not be able to pay for treatment. The longer that my niece is under their care and the more I learn about St. Jude over time the happier I am that God placed this race on my heart to run.

I am running this one for Ellie Mae. I am running because if she can go through all this treatment with a smile on her face then I can run this and suffer through with her. Even if just for a moment being that it is not even the same. Every time I run I take a minute to think of her and it gives me the motivation to keep running in addition to Hebrews 12:1


This will be the race that will let me know that I want to pursue running marathons more often and it will give me that sense of accomplishment towards a goal. I know that this is going to be mentally, emotionally and physically demanding. I am thankful to my husband who is going to be helping with the kids on my long run days and for his backing on this whole adventure. He gets the pay off of getting a mini vacation so it's a win win right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment