July 25, 2013

What is Paleo? The Cliffnotes version

I know that in another post awhile ago I talked about eating Paleo for a week and I never really did lol. 

I recently stumbled upon more information and I have become seriously intrigued and I wanted to post an overview of what it is. Paleo is first and foremost a lifestyle, it is usually taken on by people who do Crossfit and that is why I believe it has become so popular but also because of the increase in autoimmune diseases in the United States. I of course stumbled upon it the second time by accident because I was eating grain free and lactose free which is essentially Paleo. 

I don't really like to label myself as anything but I eat like everyone else. Vegetarianism didn't work for me because I had a family that ate meat and it was too hard to see all the meat there and I WANTED to eat it. It was just something that was not for me and I don't necessarily have the budget to buy groceries for three different diets. My husband wasn't on board at all and that was fine with me but I held on as long as I could and it seriously did turn out to also be WAY too expensive. SO, I went back to my normal eating habits and I ended up eating a lot of processed foods such as Cliff Bars and that led to drinking and eating lots and lots of popcorn, late night snacking and it led to my weight gain. Ok so you know the rest of the story and here I am today. Please be reminded that I just started this over a week ago and I am still new to this whole idea. SO what is Paleo. 

Paleo is a lifestyle that;

Tries to mimic the hunters and gatherers from the stone ages and such. 
They eat full fat GRASS FED beef and pork without antibiotics or hormones. 
Shell fish and fish
Poultry and eggs that are cage free. 
Organ meats 
Homemade bone broth
Starches such as sweet potato, plaintains root vegetables, squash ect. 

 

They DO NOT EAT

Grains of any kind
Dairy unless it is raw and not pasteurized
Legumes of any kind
Soy  

It is all natural clean eating just like Tosca Reno's Eat Clean diet with some restrictions. The whole premise of the Paleo diet is that it is to heal the gut and decrease inflammation, bloating, gas, indigestion, lose unwanted body fat through eating foods that were similar to those of our ancestors. It is a lifestyle that is geared through healing people by eating the foods that are available to us in the least processed way possible. 

MY THOUGHTS:

I think that this is a lifestyle that is tough on those that eat too much processed food. I do think that it is totally doable for someone that suffers from gluten intolerance (bloating, gas, fullness, uncomfort after eating a meal containing a food that has gluten). I think that it will heal inflammation as I saw it in my own body. I do think that it requires some research and I don't think that you should give up anything at once. One thing at a time should do and then eliminate little by little and re-introduce things later if you feel that you can handle them and if they iritate you than you probably shouldn't be eating it anyway. 

After a week of eating Paleo and eating Chipolte I had chicken, beans, rice and avocado. It did not sit well with my stomach and even though I did not isolate the foods to distinguish if it was the beans or the rice the way I felt today was enough to know that I don't want to eat either again. I gained 3 pounds overnight and I have bee VERY bloated all day. I believe that this lifestyle works and I am very eager to get back from San Diego, get pregnant and live this lifestyle to the fullest. I feel that I am onto something here and if I am right OH boy it is going to be life changing for me :)

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment