October 13, 2012

If the shoe fits!

When I started running in Alaska I was doing pretty well until I ran a Fourth of July 10K. I never really trained on hills and I was the kind of person that just jumps first and never gives too much thought into the things that I want to do if I really want to do them. Well there were hills on this 10K and I seriously hadn't run anymore than 4 miles on the treadmill and I was big headed and thought that it was JUST a run! How harmless could that be? What a fail! 

I ended up going down hill for about a quarter mile and totally didn't pace myself and KILLED my shins! I was out of commission for about 2 weeks. I went to medical and they gave me an appointment with a foot person who gave me show inserts and the works. I saw a physical therapist but she didn't really help me much but she did fit me for my inserts. I started looking online and noticed that my feet overpronate and I needed to get fitted for shoes.....well Kodiak is a small island look below.....

 So I told myself that if I ever got into running again (In AK I had big dreams for running a half marathon and local races) that I would go to a running shoe store. Well I found one in Plymouth and I went there yesterday for a shoe fitting. I ran on the treadmill and that went well......weird. My feet over pronate like I thought they did. That means that my ankle takes a lot of the impact and it goes inward to receive all of the energy. My feet then SWING out when I run ha ha ha it looks so funny because my stride is right one and then WHOOP my leg flies to the outside. It is the most hysterical thing that I have ever seen and something that I am going to try to work on but for now I am glad that I got some good shoes. 

So the guy was awesome he came by with 5 pairs of sneakers. He told me that I would have to size up! OMG I THOUGHT I was a size 6.5 well NO I am a 7 and I got sized up to an 8!!!! WHAT? He said that I would have to wear bigger shoes because they will help reuce the blisters on the top of my toes and that they would keep toe nails from coming off. Well then I was sold and I am ok with having GARGANTUAN feet for running only......weird! ha ha ha! So $110.00 later.....I got a pair of shoes! I am really happy and I am going to try them on this morning. I also have Les Mills Pump Flow to do and from what I understand it is a Yoga stretch DVD so I will do that after my 5 miles to try these shoes out! Kinda excited but it's cold out there ha ha ha! My first time running in the cold! Ahhhhh! 

I have more things to look forward too! I am going to Trader Joes for the first time AND I am doing Scott Kelby's World Wide Photowalk! Pictures of Provincetown coming soon! 

Have a wonderful day/weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment