February 13, 2014

Keeping Fit with the Family While on the Road


I recently got in touch with Kendra who is a very sweet woman. She also has a huge interest in health and fitness. She is getting ready to go on a road trip and wanted to share tips on what she is planning to do on her road trip with her family while keeping it healthy! I really LOVE this post because I am always in a rush to get to where I am going rather than sitting back and enjoying the ride! I hope you enjoy the post as much as I have had reading it! 

Keeping fit with three little ones underfoot has been no small feat. Throw a road trip in there, and the battle becomes even more challenging. It can be done, though. Read my five favorite tips below for keeping fit and healthy on the road inspired by the fact that my family has a trip to Walt Disney World in the very near future!





1.Make Sure You Get Fresh Air
Plan stops along the way at rest areas or parks where you can stretch your legs and move around. Organize a family game of tag or toss the Frisbee around to give yourself an added boost. It will keep your metabolism up, and prevent you from reaching for sugary, caffeinated drinks to keep awake. It also helps the kids from being restless and irritable.


2. Pack the Snack
Instead of getting candy and fast food at rest stops or grabbing for a fried food item at a theme park - I always make sure that my family eats a healthy, big breakfast and that I pack a bunch of snacks. The healthy fruits and veggies are poor quality and overpriced. Plan ahead and pack the fruit, nuts, veggies, pretzels and trail mix to satisfy everyone's hunger and curb those sugary cravings.


3. Don't Forget Your Sneakers
It is tempting to pack only evening wear and poolside gear. However, flip flops and heels are not workout wear. Bring a workout outfit and the right shoes so you can keep the morning run or walk in your routine. Try to stay in a hotel with a fitness center. That way if the weather doesn't cooperate, you can still stay fit.


4. Sleep is Part of Fitness
Trips are tiring, and rest is key. As a mom, you know that if the little ones aren't sleeping well, you are not sleeping well. To help get a good night's rest, try to rebuild the sleep environment your kids enjoy at home. Before I book any hotel, I’m going to check through to see which Orlando hotels offer a quiet hours policy to ensure that my family, primarily my kids, will get a solid night’s rest. Tired and cranky kids at the park would be too much of a nightmare!


5. Plan for Action
While it is tempting to drive to your vacation spot, sit at the pool, and then come home - don't. Plan for an active vacation. A rest day or two is great, but look for great parks to hike and other activities that keep you walking. My family loves to ski in the winter time!


Just because you go on vacation doesn't mean that health and fitness get a break, too. Use these tips to continue being healthy and fit throughout your road trip.


 You can find Kendra on Twitter : )

@KendraThornton

0 comments:

Post a Comment