March 19, 2015

Pho Recipe PLUS make your OWN broth





I love pho, I can't eat onion for whatever reason so that leaves me with having to make my own food all the time. Which is ok because I am blessed to have the time to do it and it is more affordable but more on that later.

Pho was introduced to me by a friend and we went out to go eat it and I was so amazed that 1. There was a soup restaurant and 2. This soup was like nothing I had ever tasted. It became a bi weekly thing for us to do. I also introduced it to my husband and he feel head over heels in love with this soup as well. When we got stationed in Kodiak Pho was no longer and I set out to find a recipe for it. I found one in my Food Newtork magazine which is where this recipe is from but instead of broth from a can I am going to show you how to make your own broth and an alternative if you don't want to.

(I think this broth recipe came from the autoimmune paleo cookbook) I just have so many recipes memorized now I forget where they come from but I do want to give credit where it is due

Broth:

8 quarts of filtered water
1 bay leaf
2 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
salt and pepper to taste.
2-3 pounds of marrow bones.

Throw in the crockpot for 8-24 hours and you are set.

2 carrot, celery stalk, 1 onion halved.
Throw this in the last hour that you are cooking your broth for the flavor.

Strain and there you have your broth! 

NOTE: If this is your first time making broth it does not smell so you may want to cook it outside or another room. My son hates it when I make it so I try to make a bunch to make it worth it.


Soup Ingredients

Soup Base:
8 c broth you can also use Better Than Bullion that is pictured.
5 star anise pods
1 piece ginger cut in half
1 cinnamon stick 
1 TBS fish sauce or low sodium soy sauce, coconut aminos, or braggs (your choice)

Other:
1 sirloin steak 
1 package rice noodles or mung bean noodles

Add In:    (these will be optional but you put it in the soup when it is done)
1 bunch cilantro
1 onion sliced thin
green onion sliced
1 lime sliced
Siracha - to taste
Oyster sauce - to taste for broth

Directions:
Put broth, star anise, ginger, cinnamon stick and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes or longer to let flavors meld. Add soy sauce or fish sauce and simmer for 10-20 more minutes. 

In separate pot boil noodles as per directions

In a separate pan heat up a small amount of oil and sear the steak about 2 min on each side and slice thin

Your steak will be rare but when you add your steak to the soup it will cook through. I usually cut mine and stick it in the fridge. 

When broth is done add noodles to your bowl, then steak, broth. 

You can dress your soup up with the add in ingredients that you like and make the soup special to you and your tastes I do think that siracha and oyster sauce are a must but the soup will taste fine on it's own. 


I hope you enjoy and come back and tell me how it tastes! XOXOXO


0 comments:

Post a Comment