March 29, 2015

Bible Study thoughts

-->


I was talking to my son awhile ago when he was talking to me about problems that he was having at school and he wanted revenge on the children that were messing around with him. I referenced Romans 12:14-18 it speaks about blessing those who are mean to you and not to pay back evil actions with the evil but letting God take control of that whole situation. I was speaking to him earlier this week and I had inspired him to read the whole book of Romans because I mentioned that it was my favorite book. I love it because when I am not acting right or feel that I am not I instantly read these pages and fix myself and attitude.

I started reading it as well and I have been reading it nice and slow to be able to capture more from it. Like half to one chapter in the book a day. I was listening to my You Version app one morning and I heard Romans 8. This chapter speaks of living with the spirit of God in you. It brought me such sweet revelation that I am still getting chills and smiles over it. I know that sometimes reading the Bible I just gloss over it just to read it because I made a goal to read a chapter or two per day and often times find myself not understanding what I am reading because of the context or the history related to the story. (I HAVE to attend a Bible school LOL for personal reference)Not this time. I read it slow and steady while it was being read to me and what happened was such a beautiful thing.

I sometimes have this evil voice in my head that tells me that I am not spiritual enough or that I was such a sinner before so I am not able to be so Godly. I know that is the devil speaking to me but damn it is a hard thing to hear and of course I pray and ask God to take this nasty out of my head and fill me with His grace. I digress, so I was listening to the reading that was being done while I was following along and I read this;

5 “Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit.”

9 “but you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you.

How beautiful is that?

For a long time I never understood that my sins had been forgiven if I couldn’t forget them because things that I had done in my past had come back to creep in my mind or things that people said about me came to mind and made me feel like I wasn't worthy. I now know that I HAVE been forgiven not because of this verse but because I have a better relationship with Jesus and I have grown in the Spirit that those memories come back to remind me of what I was and how I am now.

 I am now filled with the Holy Spirit and I KNOW through this now that I am no longer controlled by my sinful nature. You would think that I would have known that but I didn’t and God wanted me to see that for myself. I am now thinking good thoughts about helping people and seeing joy in people rather than thinking about my next drink,  who I was going to hook up with, or what kind of “trouble” I was going to get into that night. Those are events from WAY back in the day but I was shown how my mind has changed. That was me then and this is me now and I am living in the Spirit. I am not dominated by my sinful nature anymore and if you are in Christ neither are you. I thought it was truly amazing to read something and it just JUMP right off the page. Has that ever happened to you?

I know that I am not perfect and I still sin but it was nice to know through the word that I don’t live in that sinful nature anymore. I am changed and I am being changed by the Spirit daily. It reminds me of that Brandon Heath song. I am not who I used to be, and it makes me smile. I remember when I first started my walk with God how entirely ruined I was and I had a heart that was broken and a mind that was just wrong. I didn’t trust anything that the Bible said because I couldn’t believe that I could be a better person or live in happiness because I had been crowded by so much negativity and negative noise. Now I look up and thank God that he SHOWED me and let me know that he will have HIS way and he did and I couldn’t be happier at the gravity of how my life has changed. 

What kinds of revelations has the Bible shown you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment